Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Carrie: Day 2 - The Great Sugar Debate

Day 2 only got a bit hairy due to my previously mentioned hotel mini-fridge issue - turns out when you freeze and then thaw tomatoes, they get completely mushy. So there went the tomato slices I had packed with my lunch. And my afternoon snack, as similar happens to green apples - mushy brown spots all over by 1400. Boo :(

Which leads me to sugar... Since I had to toss my apple, I was hungrier than usual for dinner. I decided that since I wanted to pick up some items at Fresh Market, I would pop in the sushi place next door since they have many vegan options on the menu. I opted for a yummy cucumber roll and some steamed vegetable potstickers. I asked about the ingredients to make sure, and the woman behind the counter said her nephew is actually vegan and the veggie potstickers are a favorite of his. Sold! Both options were delicious. Well, later I found out that potstickers include a small amount of white sugar, and there seems to be a divide over whether to consider white sugar vegan or just vegetarian. Some white sugars are apparently processed with bone char, and since the bones are from an animal, therefor white sugar is NOT vegan. However, since this only applies to SOME white sugars and not all, there are 2 distinct groups of vegans - those who eat white sugar, and those who don't. Hmmmm. At the end of it all, I decided I would be included in the former and not worry about the sugar debate.

Meals for today:
Breakfast
1 c Special K
1 c unsweetened coconut milk
Morning snack
1/2 c strawberries
1/3 c blueberries
Lunch
2 pieces sunflower seed bread
1/2 large Haas avocado
2 Wasa crackers (normally would save this for afternoon and eat the apple first, but the apple was already starting to look less than appetizing so I passed...)
2 T Maranatha smooth peanut butter
Dinner
1 cucumber roll
6 small steamed vegetable potstickers
Post workout snack
1 c Special K
1 c unsweetened coconut milk

Water consumption - 140 oz

Tracking
Morning pulse - 54
Daily percentage breakdown - 44% Carbs, 43% Fat, 13% Protein
Exercise - non-running day, took a long walk and did a 25 min hill workout on the bike

Originally I was worried about my sodium intake since I'm unable to cook, but I've been tracking the levels and no issues so far! I also added 2 new supplements - a women's multi-vitamin with extra iron (also has a ton of the B-12 I was looking for) and a calcium. It's even difficult to shop for vitamins as a vegan! I never realized so many contain milk or fish products. Crazy.

Picked up some more of the tasty soup - the brand is "Pacific" in case anyone is looking for a good "on-the-go" option (I tried to post a photo, but it's not working on my iPad). The Black Bean and Kale was delicious, and I'm looking forward to trying the Thai Sweet Potato for lunch tomorrow.

And now it's 9:30 - time to watch last night's Bachelorette premiere and hit the hay! If anyone has any thoughts/comments on the sugar debate, I'd love to hear them. Until tomorrow...

xoxo
Carrie

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea about the sugar thing. I found out my vitamin D supplement is not vegan either. Geez!

    ReplyDelete