Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Mark: Day 9 - keeping it interesting

I'm trying to find different recipes to keep the vegan experiment interesting. I'm doing my best to stay away from foods like tofurkey and tofu dogs. First of all, they seem super processed, and I don't want to trade one devil for another. Second, they don't sound good. If I'm going to do this, I want to do it in a way that embraces the vegan flavors rather than try to get second rate imitations of carnivore cravings.

Breakfast was the left over party pizza (418 cal) with coffee (9 cal). It was actually better the second day.

First lunch was an almond butter sandwich on homemade white bread (211 cal). Second lunch, a couple of hours later, was vege chili (248 cal).

While I was cooking dinner I ate some more bread (68 cal).

Dinner was vegan Pad Thai from the Post Punk Kitchen. Recipe: http://www.theppk.com/2013/09/everyday-pad-thai/

Vegan - day 9

I hadn't eaten tofu in years. It is one of the least appetizing foods I can think of. Gelatinous, flavorless, tasteless. It's like something out of a dystopian science fiction novel. Except it isn't.

DSC_9009

I seared the tofu in my cast iron skillet while I boiled the rice noodles

Vegan - day 9

then it's just a few quick steps - fry the broccoli, add the sauce, add the noodles and bean sprouts - heat through.

Vegan - day 9

Garnish with crushed peanuts and lime wedges.

Vegan - day 9

I quite liked it. I really like Pad Thai, and this was a decent version. Pad Thai is 90% vegetarian to begin with, so it wasn't that hard to go the last 10%. Kandie, who also likes Pad Thai, did not like it.

If you have the facilities, it's a meal worth giving a try (in my opinion) - or not (in Kandie's opinion).

Calories were about 503. We made a half recipe, and I ate half.

For dessert I polished off the rest of the pineapple I had chopped up on day 8. Then later in the evening I decided to have a spinach and blueberry salad with lite raspberry walnut dressing (122 cal). And a pickle (7 cal).

Got in a short run in the morning, and then went for a walk with Kandie and the dog in the evening.

Day summary:

Calories consumed: 1663
Calories burned: 804 - 15,635 steps
weight: 169.1

I thought I'd start giving some big picture nutrients:

52g protein
245g carbs
59g fat

Still thinking about how to increase protein. Not so easy without dense sources from meat and animal products.

2 comments:

  1. Completely agree about the mock-meat foods. Isolated soy protein (what most of them are made from) is as bad for you as meat in some ways. And I never found any meat or cheese substitutes that tasted good.

    Regarding protein, I calculated 12.5% protein roughly for this day, which is perfect for maintenance. More is only really needed if you exercise heavily or are trying to put on muscle mass.

    If you want to bump it up, I would suggest an extra serving or two of legumes. What did you find out about it? (Or perhaps you'll discuss tomorrow!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That seared tofu is beginning to look like diced chicken...how is the consistency after it is cooked this way?

    ReplyDelete