Saturday, May 31, 2014

Lee V-Day 12: Moving Day & (mini) Eureka!


...and so this image largely captured my V-Day 12, Friday, May 30. I was pleasantly surprised that the moving company sent five men (vs 2 or 3 of past moves) to load the 200+ boxes and all of my furniture, garage stuff, and deck equipment. In years past, two or three folks loading the truck resulted in an early day into the evening pack-up, but today, the work was largely done by 5:00 although the move did go into overtime because the truck did not have enough room. Interestingly, for these large vans, the moving company will co-mingle property (the front portion of "my" van had already been packed with a relatively small load picked-up the evening prior); however, estimating cubic feet requirements is still estimation associated with expected variance; consequently, variance worked against me and the packing company today resulting in a second, later truck and team arriving to clear the refugee household goods before sunset. A quick note of exercise, fitness, and health observation: the work of the moving company staff is traditional "hard work"...lifting, quick pace walk, flights of stairs, and all manner of physical contortions with the lifts...I have observed and experienced these types of activities before in farm work (putting up hay and/or tobacco) and from time to time, in the Army. In terms of health producing activity and outcomes among the members of the team, a day of observation would clearly convey that all of these men were strong and possessed very good physical endurance; however, a societal "eye test" would probably yield a "good shape" standing for two of the five, but the balance of the team would rate "moderately good shape"...I did not intend to do anything more than offer hydration and/or refreshments to the team, but my offer of cold bottled water or some of my Coke Zeros, Dr. Pepper 10, and/or Sprite 10 likely resulted in a rough primary research observation that water vs zero\very low calorie soda choices resulted in matches of "good shape" with water and "moderately good shape" with the no\low calorie soda.

OK, now to the day of vegan numbered twelve...whew! ...and Eureka! I really did not spend the day in professorial research mode, but rather, lots of stairs, cleaning, lifting, moving, etc. myself. Fitbit reports that I had over 20,000 steps...while I am certain that I had well more than 10,000 actual "steps", I believe that many of those Fitbit steps were tied to other activity like cleaning windows, bathtubs, etc. At the end of my next-to-the-last day at 101 Glen Eagles Drive, I checked-in to my neighborhood Marriott (I am a dedicated Marriott Rewards member) tired and hungry. During the day, I drank a great deal of water, ate my remaining bananas, an apple, and almonds, but I was clearly in calorie deficit status wanting to eat the most readily available, delicious vegan-compliant food that I could find.  I recalled the research on pizza and Little Caesars...which led me to making the call and picking this up twenty minutes later:


...and so, "I found it"...this vegan pizza was so much tastier. I was able to talk to the chef who prepared the pizza (she said that she had made three or four of these type of pizzas already that day) and she took note and understood the vegan considerations (no meat, no cheese) promising to "load up" the veggies. I ordered extra sauce, mushrooms, onions, green peppers, and black olives (the only other veggies\fruit that I could have added at this store were banana peppers or pineapple). The result was a crust that was firm enough to hold the topping load, but still pleasantly soft. I added some salt to the pizza as the sauce was just a tad bit bland. The fresh vegetable toppings were great. In context, a great meal served with a bottle of water and a Seagrams Pina Colada. ...and I collapsed in a coma-like sleep shortly thereafter.

Day 12 Box Score:

2,058 calories and 1,185 calories earned from 20,783 steps

Breakfast:
Two bananas
water

Lunch:
Peanut Butter Crackers
water

Dinner:
Little Caesars Vegan Pizza, 5 slices
Seagrams Pina Colada
water

Snacks:
Banana
Apple
Almonds, 1/4 cup



2 comments:

  1. $11 at the Little Caesars on FM 3009 for an 8-slice pizza...call ahead to order (~15 minutes)...and one can be yours! : )

    ReplyDelete