Monday, May 19, 2014

Linda - Day 1 -Confessions of a Carnivore

I must start by saying that this is a stretch for me. I don't know that I have ever not consumed meat at least for one meal in a day and the others would usually include cheese or eggs.  I am a carnivore. It will be interesting to see if I can make it the full 30 days.  I may have had a few meals in college that did not have meat in them but if I did, I really don't remember.  Even when I have attempted to reduce the amount of meat in my diet, I have resorted to fish, seafood, cheese, and dairy to soften the blow. I had my labs drawn in April and will need to find them to post but, my numbers are very good.  I take Synthroid for hypothyroidism which causes my metabolism to not be what it once was and magnifies small changes.  A little change in diet or exercise can quickly result in an added 5-10lbs. 

My first day:
Coffee x 3 cups - non-dairy creamer in two, artificial sweetener in all 3. I try to avoid added sugar, it's been something I have done for a while.  However, I do indulge in the occasional desert. During Christmas this year I fell off the desert wagon and have not fully recovered, hopefully thinking about this will help. I intend to replace that need for the sweet fix with fresh fruit.

I forgot my lunch this morning (first day back after leave) so I had a snack of Starbuck's nuts and seeds at lunch time.

Dinner was a nice salad of fresh greens, strawberries, tomatoes, salad fixin's (nuts, seeds), sun dried tomatoes, dried jalapeños and Walden Farms Sun Dried Tomato dressing (Calorie free-although I am skeptical about this claim). To add a little crunch I had a handful of Sweet Potato & Salted Brown Rice Triscuits.  They had a salty sweet taste, lots of flavor. I also had a glass of red wine.

One thing about vegan is it does include the 3 main food groups: Coffee, chocolate, & wine. :-)

I had a snack of pistachios (which need to be hulled) after dinner.

I must confess last night I had steak; in preparation for the sacrifice. 
I am sure it will take me a few days to get into a routine, I am very much a creature of habit.  The key for me is to do something long enough for it to become a pattern and to pick good patterns over the bad ones.

Bon appétit

 

3 comments:

  1. I had a Five Guys double cheeseburger with bacon!

    Love your 3 food groups!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, thank you for being brave enough to try this. When I first tried a vegan diet ten years ago, I had never heard the word vegan before and did it cold turkey (hah!) after eating meat, eggs, and cheese at almost every meal, all my life. My motivation was to lose weight.

    The first week or so, I had cravings and felt deprived, so that weight loss motivator was really important to keep me going. Also, I was doing it as a six week experiment, and the thought of being able to eat whatever I wanted at the end of six weeks also helped me.

    I ended up enjoying this way of eating more than I expected. And my habits really did change for good. You may not have the same experience, but I hope it is at least beneficial for you in the short term, and that you find some new foods that you love.

    Oh, and I lost all the weight I wanted to -- a total of 65 lbs over nine months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, I grilled steaks for the girls and me Sunday afternoon too!

    ReplyDelete