Thursday, May 22, 2014

Debbie - Day 4: Cough, Sputter, Sneeze

I definitely have a sore throat.  Darn it.  First cold since October 1st.  I worked a little from home and otherwise rested and puttered around.

I had coffee when I got up, but with no appetite, it was lunchtime before I even thought about food.  Breakfast, 52 calories from the soy milk in the coffee.

Lunch was late and consisted of a banana, a bowl of strawberries, and two ears of corn.  388 calories.

I drank lots of herbal tea all day, and I really missed having honey.

By late evening, I was managing my miserable symptoms a little better and wanted to do something in the kitchen.  I decided to make two different recipes with black eyed peas.  A simple curry with tomatoes, and a creole-type stew with mushrooms, celery, onions, corn, and peppers.

Dinner was the curried black eyed peas with brown rice and steamed baby kale.  I also was craving cookies again, and had some vegan (but not whole-food) graham crackers.  Dinner 652 calories.

Even though I didn't eat much, I wasn't hungry.

Ingredients for black eyed peas curry

Dinner

Ingredients for creole black eyed peas






3 comments:

  1. I like black eyed peas - I ve got a recipe for them that I have been meaning to make. Maybe tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black eyed peas are probably my favorite legume. Strictly speaking, they are a lentil and not a bean or pea. Thus they only need soaking for an hour or two, not overnight, and actually cook fine without soaking. They are also less "musical" for people who are not used to eating beans and may have ill effects from eating a good quantity of them.

      Delete
  2. Wow! All of these beautiful Vegan food pictures are great.

    ReplyDelete