Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Lee: A brief commentary on Vegan Pizza from Pizza Hut

On Monday, in the flurry of preparation for the packers arriving the next day, I treated the kids to delivery from Pizza Hut. My daughter, Ashley, ordered exactly what I really wanted to order...Buffalo Mild Boneless Wings with blue cheese dressing...argh! (She laughed as she ate each delicious bite).

So, as I ordered online, I tried to stay aligned with the Vegan Way (perhaps now I know why Mark makes his own "pie"), by doing a bit of research and creating a Pizza Hut Vegan Pizza (see picture below): Thin Crust, no cheese, mushrooms, onions, green peppers, and black olives. ...sadly, besides the knowledge, I wasted about $8. The pizza was dry and cardboard like...and the chef forgot the mushrooms! I probably should have asked for extra toppings and sauce, but alas a lesson was learned...and I microwaved some Uncle Ben's Wild Rice.

A couple of "Vegan Fast Food" sites suggested that Little Caesars makes the best compliant pizza followed by Papa Johns...but, you know, Ashley really wanted those Buffalo Boneless Wings...

2 comments:

  1. Totally agree. The cheese-less pizza I had the other night from a local pizzeria was bland, even though I asked for extra sauce. They also added onions, which I did not order, and which were too raw. The whole pie was also undercooked, to my taste.

    It might be a good idea to experiment with different local pizza places, to see which one can create a vegan pizza worth eating. That might mean repeat orders with feedback, eating onsite, and talking directly to the pizza cooks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you really got messed over when they left off the mushrooms. Mushrooms are pretty satisfying for a meat-like mouth feel. Just hard to make a decent diet pizza, never mind a decent diet vegan pizza.

    ReplyDelete