Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Mark: Day 8

Day 8 was pretty tame.

PB&J for breakfast - 262 cal.

Mid-morning I had a banana - 90 cal.

Lunch was left over black eyed pea curry and Sicilian tomato salad (440 cal).

Dinner, however, was an experiment I've been meaning to try for a while. I made Rhode Island Party Pizza:

vegan - day 8

I know, you're saying, "it's pizza without cheese - which is kind of not pizza". Look, if you haven't had it, it's really one of the best things about Rhode Island. It's a tiny little state wedged in between Massachusetts and Connecticut - it has to have something. And party pizza is it.

Here's a recipe - though they call it "Bakery Pizza". I grew up with it being called party pizza when my relatives from Rhode Island would come up - and bring this with them.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/rhode-island-style-pizza-strips-aka-bakery-pizza/detail.aspx

I think this is a pretty good rendition of what I've had, but clearly not the same as if you went into some family pizzeria that's been making it since around WWI. I left out the cheese and pepperoni - but I don't think that was what was missing. I think what was missing was about double the olive oil in the sauce, and then a bunch more olive oil in the dough. I made a plain dough - no oil. This pizza needs to be oozing olive oil. And I think the sauce wasn't thick enough. I bought some tomato paste to try mixing in with the crushed tomatoes next time I make this.

Anyway - it was fun. Had half of it for about 560 calories.

For dessert I had some fresh pineapple I'd been letting ripen on the counter. I really like to let them get ripe before I cut into them. This one was very sweet as a result. And only about 41 calories.

Around 10 I decided I was hungry, so I made some oatmeal using almond milk (165 cal) and mixed in some blueberries (42 cal).

So that was day 8. Summary:

Calories consumed: 1,599
Calories burned: 341 - 10,212 steps
Weight - 167.6

I was looking at the nutritional analysis Loseit provides and it shows my protein intake has dropped substantially since starting this diet. That concerns me a little. Fats have fallen a bit, which isn't necessarily bad, but carbs have spiked.

I think I'll make a chart in the next day or two to look at this trend.

3 comments:

  1. Current recommended intakes are up slightly from in past years. It's easy to calculate. Halve your ideal weight. (If you weigh 200 but your healthy weight would be 160, halve 160). That is the number of grams of protein you should get in a day. Not the minimum you require, but the recommended amount, which has a generous percentage added in for insurance.

    The previous recommendation was 0.36 times ideal body weight = grams of daily protein, and it too was considered to have a "large margin of safety."

    Protein is about 4 calories per gram. Multiply your grams by 4 to get an estimate of the number of calories of protein you need daily. It isn't much!

    My ideal weight is 120, so a more than adequate level for me is 60 grams of protein per day, or 240 calories out of my 1300 calories per day. That's about 18% of calories from protein.

    I have heard that it is practically impossible to be protein deficient without being significantly calorie deficient. In other words, if you are eating relatively normal food and not wasting away from starvation, you are getting enough protein.

    The exceptions would be wasting diseases, and a deliberate diet of, say, sugars and fats only.

    The average omnivore American man gets about 105 grams of protein, and women get about 75. Vegans on average get about 20% less, but this is actually a good thing, and still more than adequate.

    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/vegan-protein-status/

    I've lost interest in my own protein intake and consider it a non issue, especially next to things like added sugars, oils, and other empty calorie foods that I think have a more substantial impact on my health and future disease resistance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've noticed the drop in protein as well - I generally shoot for 15% of my intake from protein. Before I would easily hit 20% from meat alone, and based on a quick calculation of all the days I've tracked (minus Monday which I couldn't get accurate data for) my average is 11.33%.
    I'm not worried at all about this trend though, considering I think this whole experiment has just gotten me to eat BETTER foods (not less, just better quality), and as of yesterday I was noticing a big difference in the way my pants fit. So that's a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The USDA recommendations are high on purpose to prevent deficiency -- but in the case of protein perhaps they should not have padded it quite so much, since most of us do not need to be near that 18% level. (a few do.)

    10-12% for a non-pregnant woman who does not exercise heavily seems perfect. The 18% is to protect everyone by a comfortable margin, including bodybuilding young athletes and highly active pregnant women.

    I think I average about 10%, but I have never tracked it. My calorie app will calculate it for me, so why not!

    ReplyDelete