Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Carrie: Day 8&9 - Vegan Pizza

Apparently like some others, I found my way to vegan pizza yesterday. The website actually advertised this pizza place, within walking distance from my hotel, as vegetarian. Once I arrived, I asked what vegan options they offered and the woman said since they have vegan cheese I could essentially order anything on the menu and they could make it happen! I opted for a vegan pizza with sausage (meatless "sausage," that is), mushrooms, green peppers, and onions. I was pleasantly surprised - it was excellent! The vegan cheese doesn't melt the same as regular, but since I've been lactose intolerant for about 4 years now, I'm pretty used to the shortcomings of replacement cheeses. The pizza had a delicious crust and the right proportion of sauce:cheese. We'll done, Siena's Pizzeria in Rockville! I will definitely be going back to try a vegan burger and/or calzone before I leave.
After a weekend trip to Trader Joe's, I managed to mix up my lunch today. I found decent microwaveable options for brown rice, grilled vegetables, and falafel that were surprisingly low in sodium. Not as good as fresh, but a nice change from the sunflower bread and avocado I was bringing to the hospital all last week. Instead of a new loaf of bread this week, I also opted for some whole wheat tortillas - I was surprised, but vegan tortillas were actually the most difficult item of the day to locate. I scanned 6 other whole wheat options, all of which contained very small amounts of honey, before I was successful.

Other than that, nothing to exciting! Wasn't able to get an accurate breakdown yesterday, so here are today's numbers:
Morning pulse - 48
Daily breakdown - 66% carbs, 26% fat, 8% protein
Water consumption - 140 oz

For tomorrow, I'm hoping these thunderstorms move past quickly - the power has already been out once in my hotel and I don't want the food in my fridge to go bad! Fingers crossed...

xoxo
Carrie

4 comments:

  1. Carrie, now that's a Vegan Pizza!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yes! I'm sorry to say your vegan pizza made me very sad :(

      Delete
  2. very funny that three of us went for pizza on the same day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to give Vegan Pizza another try soon...maybe Papa Johns with extra sauce and loaded veggies?

    ReplyDelete