Saturday, May 24, 2014

Linda - Day 5 - Southern Comfort Day




I wanted some comfort food so beans and cornbread sounded good.  Hmmm! One big problem they both take meat usually and cornbread requires an egg.

The search was on for recipes.  I used the recipe and flavor packet with the Cajun 15 bean packet.  The recipe called for garlic and onion which I left out.  In hind sight I should have included more salt and at least the garlic. The onions play havoc with my digestive system so I usually avoid them.  I thought the beans were pretty good considering they were missing the main flavor ingredient. Steve had a different opinion and subsequently popcorn for dinner. 

The cornbread is an entirely different story.  I looked for a vegan cornbread recipe and learned a very important lesson.  Just because there is a recipe it isn't necessarily edible.

The recipe was:

Classic Vegan Cornbread

by Tracye McQuirter
1 cup corn meal (organic if possible)
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (if you can’t do wheat, use a pastry flour of your choice)
1 tablespoon of baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons raw agave nectar,
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
In a bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt.  In a separate bowl, mix together the olive oil, agave nectar and water.  Add the dry ingredients tot he wet ones and stir until well combined.  Pour into an oiled 9-inch round or square baking pan.  Bake for half an hour or until the top center is firm.

The only thing different I did was add a little Rosemary.  Sorry Tracey, but the bread did not hold together, because of no eggs and the flavor was much like that of Rosemary flavored cardboard. About 3/4 went in the trash in a house where we usually make the most out of leftovers.

I think I may try it again, but add about twice the agave and use almond milk instead of the water. If any one else has a better recipe or other ideas, let me know.

Iced green tea seemed to be the best drink and was the best part of today's meal. The other item I tried was vegan butter by Earth Balance. It was actually a very good substitute.

Today was not a failure by any means - I learned how to not make cornbread. :-)
Bon Appétit

No comments:

Post a Comment