Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Carrie: Day 3 - Rough Seas

Overall, I will say that I am enjoying all the foods that come with being a vegan. That being said, today I encountered a few mini-challenges that vegans must face on a regular basis. It all started with a soup... I enjoyed Pacific's Black Bean and Kale so much I was looking forward to trying another, the Thai Sweet Potato. I love Thai food, all the great spices and seasonings, and I LOVE sweet potatoes. I decided to take a container for my lunch today. What could possibly go wrong?

Turns out, A LOT. Wow. Other than things I'm allergic to, I'm not particularly picky when it comes to food. Which makes it hard to say that this was the absolute WORST soup I've ever tasted. It was like a big bowl of horrible coconut slop, and the smell... Ohhh, the smell. I kid you not, I had to soak my container in a sink of Herbal Essence shampoo for 2 hours until I was convinced the smell was reduced to a level where the container was considered salvageable. Dramatic? Maybe... Okay, definitely. But still necessary.

So there I was, 1200 and my lunch was in the trash. There are limited options in the hospital, so I went with Old Faithful - a.k.a. Subway. I was already drooling over the thought of a fresh salad topped with avocado when the woman behind the counter said she couldn't make a salad because they didn't have any of the plastic containers. Grrrrr. I was tempted to leave and run down to the cafeteria to make the salad I originally had in mind, but I had already eaten up most of my remaining lunch break waiting in the Subway line. There is only one other vegan option on the menu - the Veggie Delight on white bread (most of the other breads are made with cheese or honey). The next bummer came when I found out they were out of avocado also. The sandwich still ended up being tasty, but it really made me think... In a span of about 15 minutes, any choice I had in what I actually thought I wanted to eat was gone. Really makes me respect the hard core vegans out there for sticking to their guns, especially on the road - there were countless different options available, but they were most definitely not vegan. Tough life!

I won't bore you with my limited menu options anymore... Other than the last-minute Subway substitution for lunch, the only change I made was Grape Nuts for breakfast - added protein and a good vegan option!

Other than that, my only setback was falling asleep when I got home from the hospital - this most likely can be attributed to the middle school kids who were running up and down the hallway at all hours last night. I love kids, but MAN once they woke me up the first time and I told them to keep it down, I couldn't get back to sleep. Dang. So, I opted for nap instead of run this afternoon. Normally not good, but my hips and back were already a bit stiff (probably because the weather says a storm is on the way in to DC) so I shook it off. There's always tomorrow...

Tracking:
Morning pulse - 48 (a bit lower than my usual low- to mid-50 range)
Daily breakdown - 55% Carbs, 30% Fat, 15% Protein (spot on my target!)
Exercise - I will literally have to call this a "rest" day
Water consumption - 140 oz

I have noticeably fewer cravings than on Day 1, so it seems the "detox from animal products" period I've read about is coming to a close. Hopefully will not have any food mishaps tomorrow!

xoxo
Carrie

2 comments:

  1. LOL! you tell a good story.

    I admire that you are trying to do this from a hotel. It's hard enough with full access to my kitchen.

    The main thing is the planning for me. Lots of planning and packing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's giving me something to do while I'm stuck here, and it's helping me eat healthy while I'm on the road! I can't wait to get home though - you guys are posting pictures of food that looks so good, I'm dying to try some recipes already!!

    ReplyDelete