Monday, June 16, 2014

Carrie: Day 25,26,27,28 - Cheater Cheater Meat&Cheese Eater

Yep. Had to cheat while I was gone at the wedding. The meals I bought by myself were easy (toast and fruit for breakfast, a bean and rice burrito at a local taco shop), but at the rehearsal dinner and then the wedding there was literally not one single thing I could eat, even though they were both buffets. First of all, I was hungry (and drinking, so really needed something in my stomach), and second of all, I felt terrible that they had provided all this lovely food, and I just couldn't turn my nose up at all of it. So basically I took a 2-meal training time out. The rehearsal dinner was chinese food, so I had some soup (which I think had some kind of chicken? or maybe it was pork) and vegetable fried rice (egg). Then at the wedding, I had some mushroom tarts (which had some kind of cheese), salad (which also had some kind of cheese, thus why there were no vegan options), fish, and about 2 bites of cake (which probably had milk and cream and butter and… yep). Terrible options? No, but I did feel bad about cheating before the 30 days were up :(

I didn't have a bad reaction to the animal products after going cold turkey for the first 25 days, and I don't feel like I ate a ton, I just felt… More full. So full from the wedding food/booze from around 5:30 on Saturday that I wasn't hungry until noon the next day. And I NEVER skip meals… I get grumpy. And this was because of what - fish? salad? beer? It wasn't exactly an all-you-can-eat Brazilian steakhouse. The food also made me feel bloated. Well, the bloating was probably mostly because I'm lactose intolerant and I had cheese and regular cake. But the full thing, I can definitely see how it makes sense that you have to ease yourself back in to the animal products - seems like your body has to work harder to process the stuff you're no longer used to. Also interesting was that I had more heart symptoms yesterday, coming down from the wedding food, than I've had this entire time… Which again really makes me see that vegan food seems to just be gentler on the system. But it could also be because I had a few more beers than usual, and too much alcohol generally had the same effect.

So, sorry for cheating everyone - felt like I was in a no-win situation either way. The next 2 days will be interesting… I feel like I have to detox all over again because now I remember what it's like that have some "normal" food.

I didn't make gnocchi last week either - I didn't want to make the dough before leaving town for 2 nights. So hopefully will get around to making it tonight.

xoxo
Carrie

1 comment:

  1. (from the guy who has already been in violation)...don't sweat it, Carrie! As the philosopher Fernando Lamas (Billy Crystal) once said, "It is better to look good than to feel good" ...and good manners are about appearances! Mark and I were talking about "the next 30 days" and we were thinking of some sort of Vegetarian-Fish diet to ease our way back into normalcy.

    ReplyDelete