Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Simple vegan meal principles from a dietician

This post was forwarded to me by email.  It's a sample meal plan that maximizes nutrition while minimizing cost and fuss.  The author is Jeff Novick, RDN

https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=43281

Excerpts:

Breakfast
1 Cup Cooked Oatmeal
1 Cup Frozen Blueberries
1/2 Banana
1 Tbsp Ground Flax

Lunch 
28 oz Diced Tomatoes
1 lb Mixed Frozen Vegetables
4 oz Frozen Collards
2 Cups Whole Wheat Pasta
1 1/2 Cup Canned Kidney Beans (No Salt Added)

Dinner 
28 oz Diced Tomatoes
1 lb Frozen Cauliflower, Broccoli, Carrots
4 oz Frozen Kale
2 Cups Cooked Long Grain Brown Rice

Calories | 2160.5 - 114%
Protein | 94.8 g - 169%
Fiber | 92.3 g - 308%

1) This is a lot of food so you do not have to worry about being hungry or a restrictive eating plan. :)

2) If you prefer, you could eat this in more or less meals per day.

3) While the nutrition is over 100%, (A detailed nutrition analysis breakdown was included) remember, we really only have to average about 70% or more of the RDA/DRI's and not beat 100% every day as the RDA/DRI's have built in buffers.
---
6) The above diet is SOS (salt, oil, sugar) free. However, if someone wanted, they could add about 1/3 tsp salt, which would still keep total sodium under 1500 mg, up to 2 Tbsp of sugar, which would keep sugar under 5% but add 100 calories (50 cal/tbsp).

7) If one wanted, they could also add in another tbsp of flax seeds (37 calories) or 1/2 ounce of walnuts (93 calories) or 1/4 avocado (80 calories), but not all of them, and still have an excellent diet. However, as you can see, it is not necessary. 

8 ) The above recipes take no more than 10 minutes, have 5 or less ingredients, are based on foods one can get anywhere, involve virtually no prep, clean up or waste and can be done for under $5/day per person. 

I bet if I were living alone, I could do something like this and eat very cheaply while maintaining high nutrition.  However, there are some realities that, for me, require tweaking of a diet like this.

First, I don't care for frozen vegetables.  I would replace most frozen with fresh, which would increase prep time, cooking time, waste, and cost.  I think the only vegetable that tastes good frozen or canned is corn.  I like canned tomatoes -- especially my own from the garden, which I hope to have this fall!  I guess I'm a fresh food snob!

I would cook my own rice and beans/lentils, which is more economical and I think here too, the beans taste better and I can control the salt content.  However I like the convenience of canned or prepped beans and rice, and I keep them on hand.  It would be easy enough to substitute in potatoes, sweet potatoes, quinoa, etc. for the pasta or rice to increase variety.

I love fresh fruit.  This plan would not satisfy my desire for fruit, so I would be adding more.  Also, where are the salads and raw veggies?  I would reduce the portion sizes of the "one pot" main dish in order to have salads/crudités and fruit with most meals.

I would not be able to cook this way for a family who is used to the standard American fare.  And after a while, it gets difficult cooking differently for yourself, and NEVER eating what everyone else does.  I know this from experience!

Dark vegan chocolate, soy milk, and coffee/tea.  Yes, these would replace healthier calories.  There's no rationalization other than I still really want them.

Spices, seasonings, sauces.  Again, if they added calories (oil, sugar) and salt, then they would reduce the overall nutrition of the day.  But that might be a trade off I could live with, if it kept me eating more whole plant foods and less junk.

Finally, This kind of eating style would be put aside for special occasions like family birthdays and major holidays, in which I would choose the healthiest of the available foods, and participate by having small portions of the celebration items like Thanksgiving turkey, birthday cake, and Mom's potato salad.  That said, one needs to be mindful that special occasion foods don't happen weekly or even monthly! The "myth of moderation" applies here.

I do like Jeff Novick's ideas.  I will be pondering these as I contemplate eating goals for the future.  I might even end up buying one of his DVDs.










No comments:

Post a Comment