Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Carrie: Day 30 and Final Thoughts


Day 30 was pretty basic:
Breakfast: Grape nuts, soy milk, and a glass of OJ
Snack: Banana
Lunch: Gnocchi w/ red sauce, apple
Snack: 4 squares of dark chocolate
Dinner: Vegan chili

I'm really loving having this gnocchi around... it's definitely one of those meals for "everyone" - well, except no-carb folks. Sorry :) It's very filling and easy to change up because you can keep it interesting with different sauces. And the vegan chili, I've been using that recipe for over 4 years now - I've found that it's so dense in beans, vegetables, and spices that no one misses the meat.

As for thoughts... Hmmm. I would guess I probably had an easier time adjusting than others, since I've been lactose intolerant for 5 years and had to cut out red meat over 2 years ago - my PCM thinks gallbladder issues, and I prefered trying the dietary changes option to flat out removal. I mean seriously, who wants body parts removed just because I’m having extreme bloaty/gassiness? I'll take option B, thank you! Bottom line is, the recommended diet changes helped significantly so I've stuck with it. So I was already very used to soy products and for meat only ate fish and birds. I also had several vegan cookbooks in the house and I took a few vegan cooking classes when I was living in Pasadena. Cooking-wise, I had already been introduced to the "lifestyle," and then I had a little leg-up in terms of having to cut out products.

That said, the restrictions that come along with being vegan are just too much for me to think about all the time. It really is exhausting - having to go to more than one grocery store if a vegan product you need for a recipe isn't available, constantly checking nutrition labels to make sure those dreaded words "Contains: Milk, Eggs" aren't at the bottom, having to inconvenience friends/family members I visit to cook up a vegan-friendly meal at dinner, having to ask about ingredients at restaurants... It's just too much. I honestly don’t know how “real” vegans do this permanently. Sure, vegetarian I can see – it’s easy enough to ask a friend or restaurant to leave the meat off. But those little products that get you – casein, whey, the stinking bone char in white sugar? I had no idea those little additives were in so much stuff. Grrr!

So what does this mean going forward? I think this was a big wake-up call that I should be paying more attention to having a consistently well-balanced diet – more home cooking, fewer nights ordering in or eating out, less sugar, taking the time to self-assess how my body feels after I eat something, etc. Now that we’re done with the 30 days, I’m essentially going to stop asking, “Does this food have an animal product in it?” and move back to a general, “Is this food something I want to be putting in my body?” and “If so, how does my body feel now that I’ve eaten it?” And you know what, that's probably something I should have been doing before!

The good GOOD news is that I spoke to my cardiologist, and because the symptoms that have been getting continually worse over the last 2 years – PVCs, racing pulse, light-headedness, general lethargy – have decreased so much in the last month, I do NOT have to undergo the month-long monitoring he was going to put me on! Obviously if I start having them consistently again before my next annual echo I'll go right in, but MAN I am so happy - it would have been such a pain! Apparently it’s some kind of device (not the permanent implanted kind) I would have to wear 24/7 and plug in to my home phone line once a day so that my cardiologist could monitor everything. BLEH. I genuinely think it’s all due to my body not having to work as hard processing the vegan food, in addition to just in general keeping a well-balanced, good diet. The change I’ve felt has really been amazing, so I will continue on a path of healthy eating and better tracking – but I don't think it’s necessary to deprive myself of EVERYTHING that has a tiny bit of animal product in it forever, as long as I keep taking good care of myself.

So here’s a basic breakdown of my experience:

Positives – Fewer heart symptoms, lower pulse/blood pressure (although I was in the healthy range before, it’s even lower now), more energy, improved mood (probably because I didn’t feel tired all the time), better fitting pants, and better skin (I had good skin before because I always wear sunscreen, hats, and very little makeup, but seriously in the last week I’ve gotten compliments from 5 different people about how good my skin looks – thank you, hydration and good eating!).

Negatives – Too restrictive, inconvenience to friends/family members who invite you to events, occasional feeling of deprivation, occasional feeling of running out of “fuel” on a long (6+ miles) run (luckily, I always carry an emergency Gu), and the general frustration felt when you go to an event and realize you can literally eat nothing being served.

Overall, at least in my case, I give it an A+ for the health benefits and would probably recommend it to anyone who has heart problems like I do, or anyone who wants a jump start to healthier eating.

It’s been real, everyone! Thanks for suffering through this with me! I hope you all found some added benefits and that the experience wasn’t too rough on you… And please, for the sake of your bodies, be careful easing back in to the meat lifestyle! J

xoxo
Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment