Monday, June 2, 2014

Mark: day 13 - happy birthday to me!

Catching up - I'm two days behind.

Saturday was my birthday. I've reached an age where I mark the day with a nod, rather than any excitement. But it is what it is, and I am now officially a year older.

I made one of my Saturday morning traditional breakfasts - biscuits. But since I can't use cow milk, I made them with soy milk. Not much difference. But I carefully calculated the calories, and oh boy, I don't know if I'll be eating them much any more.
vegan - day 13
Two biscuits with raspberry All Fruit and coffee - 429 calories!
vegan - day 13
I did go out for a birthday run while Kandie and my daughter went and did chores at the church so my daughter could meet a volunteer requirement so she could go on mission this summer. I thought my route was about 5.5 miles. I've run it many times, and it always takes me a really long time to do, so on Saturday I decided to go out and measure it again. It's actually 6.7 miles. That explains the longer run time. Had I known it was 6.7 miles, I probably wouldn't have been running it. It's a nice confidence builder.

We had lunch with an old college friend who was in town visiting her uncle. We went Two Step, a fun place - I definitely recommend it if you are not on a vegan diet. After carefully reading over the menu, I ordered the spinach salad, which I am sure did not list blue cheese crumbles as a component. When it showed up, I had to apologize and send it back. They brought it back a few minutes later sans crumbles (which I love). I scarfed up a bunch of corn chips, which used to be a staple of my diet before the $3 Diet, but which I now only indulge in when I go out. I had some beer as well. Nice selection of tap beer, though I had to start with a bottle of Sam because it seemed like they were changing out all of the taps I happened to be interested in at the same time (no thank you Bud Light). Lunch was about 906 calories (yikes!).

Dinner was at our traditional location for birthdays - the only place that everyone in the family can agree on - Romano's Macaroni Grill. I got the make to order pasta - which was not bad - though I generally object to buying anything at a sit down restaurant that I can make better at home. I had farfalle with pomodoro sauce, roasted garlic, roasted peppers, and roasted egg plant. And two glasses of red wine for about 1,275 calories (double yikes!).

Kandie, bless her heart, made me a vegan chocolate cake for my birthday celebration at home.


We couldn't find vegan margerine at our local grocery, so it didn't have any frosting. But you would never have known it was animal free. It was a delicious chocolate cake.

Day summary:

Calories consumed: 2,714
Calories burned:         825
Weight:                     164.7 (a birthday present to myself - I weighed in after my extra long run - fun to look at, but not accurate)

Nutrients:

Protein        62g
Carbs        275g
Fat              64g

1 comment: