Monday, June 16, 2014

Thoughts from the Philosopher Buffett

Only 1 Day to go and I've had this song from college in my head the whole time:

Cheeseburger in Paradise
Jimmy Buffett
From the album, Son of a Son of a Sailor
1978

Tried to amend my carnivorous habits.
Made it nearly seventy days,
Losin' weight without speed, eatin' sunflower seeds,
Drinkin' lots of carrot juice and soakin' up rays.

But at night I'd have these wonderful dreams
Some kind of sensuous treat.
Not zucchini, fettuccini, or bulgur wheat,
But a big warm bun and a huge hunk of meat!

Cheeseburger is paradise.
Heaven on earth with an onion slice.
Not too particular, not too precise.
I'm just a cheeseburger in paradise.

Heard about the old time sailor men,
They eat the same thing again and again;
Warm beer and bread they say could raise the dead.
Well, it reminds me of the menu at a Holiday Inn.

But times have changed for sailors these days.
When I'm in port I get what I need;
Not just Havanas or banana or daiquiris,
But that American creation on which I feed!

Cheeseburger is paradise medium rare with Muenster'd be nice
Not too particular, not too precise
I'm just a cheeseburger in paradise.

I like mine with lettuce and tomato
Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes
Big kosher pickle and a cold draught beer
Well, good god Almighty which way do I steer

For a cheeseburger in paradise
Makin' the best of every virtue and vice.
Worth every damn bit of sacrifice
To get a cheeseburger in paradise;
To be a cheeseburger in paradise.
I'm just a cheeseburger in paradise.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, the opening track from the old Greatest Hits album. I played that one until the tape wore out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great song which is resonating with me now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie, Linda, the Jimmy Buffett greatest hits album, "Songs You Know by Heart", was introduced to me was I was a freshman at VMI by my "fraternity big brothers"...they played that cassette tape all the time...good times, great music...although, I think that if I had a big ol' cheeseburger from Five Guys or our own 50-50 Diner on Broadway right now, I would probably be experiencing what Carrie did this weekend...but, maybe the taste would be worth it? : )

    ReplyDelete