Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Linda Day 30 - Vegan no more




Day 30 - The day started like most others with 3 cups of coffee.  I did not get my 4th cup in the afternoon. I've noticed that pushes me to be a bit on the intolerant side.  There is something about the mid-day pick-me-up and a moment spent centering with a cup of coffee that makes the remainder of the day grate less and somehow magically transforms the afternoon annoyances into mere task dust.

No lunch, just scores of written assignments to grade. At least now we know where we start from as far as the level of communication. 

A few last minute "we need it now" requests and a third 12-hour day materialized.  It all melts when I walk through the door in the evening and Steve and Izzy (our dog) greet me.  The family exchange can begin for the evening, with attention first and foremost centered on Izzy who wants to know exactly where I have been for so long.

Dinner is spaghetti squash, one of my favorite vegan dishes, with asparagus, zucchini, and tomatoes. It was smothered in marinara sauce and accompanied by bread with seasoned olive oil.  The meal was topped off with sliced pears and a glass of Merlot.

This last 30 days have been an interesting adventure.  I have learned that if absolutely necessary I could live without meat, eggs, and dairy products. But, only if absolutely necessary.  I said this at the beginning, I am a carnivore.  I may temper my meat consumption a little but I choose to not live a meatless life.  My husband, Steve, also pointed out that I could never be a true vegan because I own way to many leather shoes, purses, and other accessories.  I agree, plastic shoes are not tolerable.  Sorry, cows and other potential future shoe material contributors.

I have veered off of some of my healthier habits during this venture. I usually eat very little bread, almost no chips, and small amounts of dried fruits and vegetables, which are high in calories.  I have consumed more bread in the last 30 days than the previous year. This started as a possible recovery from overindulgence during vacation but did not develop into the healthy reset that I had hoped for.  I lost only 2 pounds during this 30 days. A little disappointing.  "OK" now it is time to get serious and get back to what works best for me, a low carb life-style.

Thanks to Mark for inspiring a jump-off into the abyss that is veganess. At least I can say I tried it, but it just was not for me.  I will be happy to re-enter the world of carnivores tomorrow. 

Bon Appétit


1 comment:

  1. Did you do before and after lipid tests? I think that would be a nice objective measure of the health benefits you may have had this past month. Also, it would serve as a baseline to compare against the low carb diet.

    Congrats on making it to the end, on the weight loss (hey, it's better than gaining!) and I return to you a Bon Appetit!

    ReplyDelete